Sunday, October 7, 2012

Introduction

HYPATIA of ALEXANDRIA


My name is Hypatia. There is no exact record of my birth, but I lived from around 370 CE to 415 CE, in the Roman-Egyptian city of Alexandria. My father was Theon Alexandricus, a mathematician considered to be one Alexandria's most educated men. He raised me to be a great thinker, in "an environment of thought". Under his instruction, I flourished in the study of mathematics and philosophy. Though I quickly surpassed his knowledge, I am still very grateful for the skills he passed on to me, like the ability to teach and orate. I also studied astronomy and astrology and lectured on all I learned, especially the philosophies of Neoplatonism, and I grew to have a large following. I was the first woman to make a substantial, respected contribution to mathematics. Truly, I was "the last great Alexandrian mathematician and philosopher", man or woman. And although I was a pagan, I thrived for quite some time. But I lived in the ancient philosophy era, a time when Christianity was rapidly dominating other religions in Alexandria, spurring riots between the different religions. For my controversial opinions, virulent rumors were spread about me. I died tragically, attacked, quartered, and burned by a mob as I made my way home in 415 CE. There are still many questions about my horrific death, but my work lives on through all those who have learned from my accomplishments. Though I am often left out of the history, philosophy, and math books that I deserve to be in, I still shine as a pioneer for mathematics, philosophy, and women.

I lived in Alexandria, but I may have studied in Athens and Italy.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the rich Moche woman needed means to defend herself, i mean she was in the wealthy class maybe she was being threatened by someone.

    ReplyDelete